DEADLINE EXTENDED: Applications due Monday, June 19th, at 11:59pm ET.
One Story is seeking a paid apprentice to join our team from September 2023 to May 2024. The apprentice will have a chance to learn about all aspects of a literary organization, including the editorial process, grant writing, and online educational programming.
This is an entry-level position for those looking for a career in publishing with a focus not just on editorial work, but also on future leadership roles in nonprofit management and online education.
We are specifically seeking applicants from backgrounds that are underrepresented in the publishing industry who are recent college graduates or in their final year of college (class of 2023 or 2024) and not enrolled in a graduate program. Candidates should be creative, eager to work with a small, dedicated team, and have a demonstrated interest in the literary community and publishing world.
We will provide an opportunity to gain valuable skills and forge connections with peers and potential employers in the industry. In addition to experience gained from day-to-day tasks, the apprentice will receive specialized training in marketable skill sets such as design and production, project management, social media and marketing, proofreading and copyediting, online pedagogy best practices, and others. The goal is to leave their time with One Story with industry connections and a diverse and varied set of skills that will make their resumes stand out to future employers.
The apprentice will spend three months working alongside a core member of One Story’s staff before rotating to the next. This way, they will have an opportunity to gain insight into how each facet of our organization operates. The apprentice will also be responsible for independent projects, such as organizing readings and events.
- Reading and evaluating submissions
- Assisting the editorial department with copyediting and proofreading
- Attending weekly meetings with Editor-in-Chief & Editorial Assistant
- Attending bi-monthly readers’ meetings
- Assisting the Executive Director with grant writing
- Email and social media marketing
- Assisting with development and technical support of online education courses
- Lending support at our annual Literary Debutante Ball
- Performing general administrative tasks
- Organizing readings & events
- Demonstrated interest and involvement in the literary community
- Some familiarity with One Story’s mission and publication history
- Excellent writing skills
- A love of reading
- A desire to learn about and pursue a career in publishing or literary non-profit sector
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and sense of punctuality
- The ability to work closely in a shared office space
Hours & Compensation
The time commitment for this position is 15 hours a week. An exact schedule will be determined upon hiring, but they should expect to spend at least one full day a week in the office, with the rest of the work done remotely. They will receive regular performance reviews to help ensure that they are getting the most out of the experience. They should reside within commuting distance of our office in Gowanus, Brooklyn.
Compensation: A stipend totaling $10,000 for the 9 month period, which will be paid on a biweekly basis for the duration of the apprenticeship.
One Story Inc. is committed to inclusivity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, parental status, military service, or disability. People of color, disabled people, veterans, and LGBTQIA people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Questions? Contact email@example.com